Seattle-Denver Center of Innovation (COIN)
Advancing Veteran-Centered Care
23 December 2020
Our research advances the Veteran-centered care for patients with complex chronic conditions by discovering:
- How to make care plans achievable for patients
- A care plan created during a clinic visit helps a patient manage their health at home and in their community. It can outline the care needed, how that care will be provided, medicine and therapy schedules, goal setting, support services, and eating/exercising plans.
- Self-management skills, such as following a care plan at home, can be hard if a Veteran has unanswered questions, limited support for healthy behaviors like losing weight or quitting smoking, and/or problems following medication instructions.
- Learn more about our research that helps Veterans develop and follow care plans in their everyday life.
- How to use palliative care to improve the patient's health status and decision making
- Palliative care provides relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of a serious illness and is not just for patients at the end-of-life. Recent* research shows palliative care can help all patients manage symptoms, connect care plans to patient preferences, reduce costs of care, and possibly extend life.
- Offering palliative care in the outpatient setting, tailoring palliative care to meet the needs to unique Veteran groups, for example homeless Veterans, and focusing on informed decision making are important components of Veteran-centered care.
- Learn more about our research on palliative care programs and strategies for Veterans with complex chronic diseases.
- How to change the healthcare system to improve the patient’s medical care experience
- The VA healthcare system can use data to improve how different groups like surgeons, radiologists, or pharmacists do their jobs which can improve a patient's medical care experience.
- Learn more about our research that focuses on changing the healthcare system.
* Temel JS, Greer JA, Muzikansky A, Gallagher ER, Admane S, Jackson VA, Dahlin CM, Blinderman CD, Jacobsen J, Pirl WF, Billings JA, Lynch TJ. Early Palliative Care for Patients with Metastatic Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(8):733-742.