Seattle-Denver Center of Innovation (COIN)
COIN Investigators & Staff
COIN Affiliate Investigator
Jason A. Dominitz, MD, MHS
- Title:Seattle-Denver COIN Affiliate
Executive Director for Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Veterans Affairs
Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Seattle
- University of Washington webpage
- See Dr. Dominitz's Dimensions profile that includes: publications, grants, datasets, patents and clinical trials
- Jason Dominitz, MD, MHS is the Executive Director for Gastroenterology and Hepatology in the US Department of Veterans Affairs and Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington. Dr. Dominitz joined the VA Puget Sound in Seattle, Washington in 1997 after completing his residency and gastroenterology fellowship at Duke University, a fellowship in Health Services Research at the Durham VA, and a master’s degree in clinical research from the Duke University School of Medicine.
- Dr. Dominitz has a longstanding interest in colorectal cancer screening and treatment. During his gastroenterology fellowship, he studied patient preferences for colorectal cancer screening and conducted a study of racial differences in colorectal cancer treatment. He has collaborated with local investigators at the University of Washington and with colleagues around the United States on studies of the quality of colonoscopy and of colorectal cancer treatment. Currently, he co-chairs a 16-year randomized, prospective VA cooperative study comparing screening with annual fecal immunochemical tests to screening colonoscopy in 50,000 average risk Veterans (the CONFIRM Study). In 2022, the VA Puget Sound was awarded funding to join the Network of Dedicated Enrollment Sites (NODES) with Dr. Dominitz as the Director of this new program. The Puget Sound NODES will serve to enhance the research enterprise in the Pacific Northwest, including training for junior investigators and support for research enrollment.
- Dr. Dominitz has served as the Executive Director for Gastroenterology and Hepatology since 2011. His work has focused on assuring Veterans’ access to high quality gastroenterology services. He is particularly interested in colonoscopy quality improvement and has led the development of new policies and tools related to this issue. Dr. Dominitz is the VA representative to the National Colorectal Cancer Round Table and is a member of the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. He is also an active member of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, currently serving as a member of the Quality in Endoscopy Committee and formerly serving as a counselor on the Governing Board and as chair of the Standards of Practice Committee. He also serves as a member of the Gastroenterology Devices Panel of the FDA Center for Devices and Radiologic Health.
The following research fields have been used to summarize Dr. Dominitz's publication (the number in parenthesis is the times that research field has appeared). The categories are based on 332 publications with 16,008 citations of his work, 74% of his publications have at least 1 citation:
- Digestive Diseases (113)
- Clinical Research (110)
- Prevention (78)
- Cancer (71)
- Colo-Rectal Cancer (51)
- Health Services (42)
- Aging (39)
- Liver Disease (30)
- Chronic Liver Disease and Cirrhosis (26)
- Clinical Trials and Supportive Activities (25)
- Emerging Infectious Diseases (24)
Cohen-Mekelburg S, Van T, Wallace B, Berinstein J, Yu X, Lewis J, Hou J, Dominitz JA, Waljee AK. The association between non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use and inflammatory bowel disease exacerbations: a true association or residual bias? Am J Gastroenterol. 2022 Aug 12. doi: 10.14309/ajg.0000000000001932. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35970816
Thai T, Louden DKN, Adamson R, Dominitz JA, Doll JA. Peer evaluation and feedback for invasive medical procedures: a systematic review. BMC Med Educ. 2022 Jul 29;22(1):581. doi: 10.1186/s12909-022-03652-9. PMCID: PMC9335975. PMID: 35906652
Shaukat A, Tuskey A, Rao VL, Dominitz JA, Murad MH, Keswani RN, Bazerbachi F, Day LW; (ASGE Quality Assurance in Endoscopy Committee Chair). Interventions to improve adenoma detection rates for colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2022 Jun 6:S0016-5107(22)00248-6. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2022.03.026. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35680469.
Komanduri S, Dominitz JA, Rabeneck L, Kahi C, Ladabaum U, Imperiale TF, Byrne MF, Lee JK, Lieberman D, Wang AY, Sultan S, Shaukat A, Pohl H, Muthusamy VR. GA White Paper: Challenges and Gaps in Innovation for the Performance of Colonoscopy for Screening and Surveillance of Colorectal Cancer. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2022 Jun 7:S1542-3565(22)00531-6. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2022.03.051. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35688352.
Liang PS, Williams JL, Dominitz JA, Corley DA, Zauber AG. Age-stratified prevalence and predictors of neoplasia among US adults undergoing screening colonoscopy in a national endoscopy registry. Gastroenterology. 2022 May 25:S0016-5085(22)00527-3. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2022.05.036. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35643172.
Boland CR, Idos GE, Durno C, Giardiello FM, Anderson JC, Burke CA, Dominitz JA, Gross S, Gupta S, Jacobson BC, Patel SG, Shaukat A, Syngal S, Robertson DJ. Diagnosis and Management of Cancer Risk in the Gastrointestinal Hamartomatous Polyposis Syndromes: Recommendations From the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Am J Gastroenterol. 2022 Apr 26. doi: 10.14309/ajg.0000000000001755. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35471415.
Boland CR, Idos GE, Durno C, Giardiello FM, Anderson JC, Burke CA, Dominitz JA, Gross S, Gupta S, Jacobson BC, Patel SG, Shaukat A, Syngal S, Robertson DJ. Diagnosis and Management of Cancer Risk in the Gastrointestinal Hamartomatous Polyposis Syndromes: Recommendations From the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Gastroenterology. 2022 Apr 13:S0016-5085(22)00151-2. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2022.02.021. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35487791.
Boland CR, Idos GE, Durno C, Giardiello FM, Anderson JC, Burke CA, Dominitz JA, Gross S, Gupta S, Jacobson BC, Patel SG, Shaukat A, Syngal S, Robertson DJ. Diagnosis and management of cancer risk in the gastrointestinal hamartomatous polyposis syndromes: recommendations from the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Gastrointest Endosc. 2022 Apr 7:S0016-5107(22)00183-3. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2022.02.044. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35487765.
Gawron AJ, Sultan S, Glorioso TJ, Califano S, Kralovic SM, Jones M, Kirsh S, Dominitz JA. Pre-Endoscopy COVID-19 screening and SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid amplification testing in the VA Healthcare System: Clinical practice patterns, outcomes, and relationship to procedure volume. Gastrointest Endosc. 2022 Apr 21:S0016-5107(22)00288-7. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2022.04.018. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35461889.
Gawron AJ, Dominitz JA. Editorial: Higher Quality Colonoscopy -Worth the Wait? Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2022 Mar 16. doi: 10.14309/ctg.0000000000000471. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35297791.
Yakovchenko V, Morgan TR, Miech EJ, Neely B, Lamorte C, Gibson S, Beste LA, McCurdy H, Scott D, Gonzalez R, Park A, Powell BJ, Bajaj JS, Dominitz JA, Chartier M, Ross D, Chinman MJ, Rogal SS. Core implementation strategies for improving cirrhosis care in the Veterans Health Administration. Hepatology. 2022 Feb 6. doi: 10.1002/hep.32395. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35124820.
Mog AC, Liang PS, Donovan LM, Sayre GG, Shaukat A, May FP, Glorioso TJ, Jorgenson MA, Wood GB, Mueller C, Dominitz JA. Timely Colonoscopy After Positive Fecal Immunochemical Tests in the Veterans Health Administration: A Qualitative Assessment of Current Practice and Perceived Barriers. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2022 Jan 19. doi: 10.14309/ctg.0000000000000438. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35060937.
Patel SG, May FP, Anderson JC, Burke CA, Dominitz JA, Gross SA, Jacobson BC, Shaukat A, Robertson DJ. Updates on Age to Start and Stop Colorectal Cancer Screening: Recommendations From the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Am J Gastroenterol. 2022 Jan 1;117(1):57-69. doi: 10.14309/ajg.0000000000001548. PMID: 34962727
Learn more about this publication on Dimensions
Dominitz JA, Fisher DA, Garman KS, Hunt CM, Lieberman D, Muir AJ, Onken JE, Robertson DJ, Sandler RS, Sultan S. In Memoriam: Dawn Tranchino Provenzale, MD, MS (August 18, 1955-April 22, 2021). Gastroenterology. 2021 Dec 22:S0016-5085(21)04094-4. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2021.12.258. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34990569.
O'Hare AM, Berry K, Fan VS, Crothers K, Eastment MC, Dominitz JA, Shah JA, Green P, Locke E, Ioannou GN. Age differences in the association of comorbid burden with adverse outcomes in SARS-CoV-2. BMC Geriatr. 2021 Jul 6;21(1):415. doi: 10.1186/s12877-021-02340-5. PMCID: PMC8258273. PMID: 34229623.
Ioannou GN, O'Hare AM, Berry K, Fan VS, Crothers K, Eastment MC, Locke E, Green P, Shah JA, Dominitz JA. Trends over time in the risk of adverse outcomes among patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 May 11:ciab419. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciab419. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33973000.
Rogal SS, Yakovchenko V, Gonzalez R, Park A, Beste LA, Rozenberg-Ben-Dror K, Bajaj JS, Scott D, McCurdy H, Comstock E, Sidorovic M, Gibson S, Lamorte C, Nobbe A, Chartier M, Ross D, Dominitz JA, Morgan TR. The Hepatic Innovation Team Collaborative: A Successful Population-Based Approach to Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance. Cancers (Basel). 2021 May 7;13(9):2251. doi: 10.3390/cancers13092251. PMCID: PMC8125814. PMID: 34067177.
Ioannou GN, Green P, Fan VS, Dominitz JA, O'Hare AM, Backus LI, Locke E, Eastment MC, Osborne TF, Ioannou NG, Berry K. Development of COVIDVax Model to Estimate the Risk of SARS-CoV-2-Related Death Among 7.6 Million US Veterans for Use in Vaccination Prioritization. JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Apr 1;4(4):e214347. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.4347. PMID: 33822066.
Ioannou GN, Liang PS, Locke E, Green P, Berry K, O'Hare AM, Shah JA, Crothers K, Eastment MC, Fan VS, Dominitz JA. Cirrhosis and SARS-CoV-2 infection in US Veterans: risk of infection, hospitalization, ventilation and mortality. Hepatology. 2020 Nov 21. doi: 10.1002/hep.31649. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33219546.
Ioannou GN, Locke E, Green P, Berry K, O'Hare AM, Shah JA, Crothers K, Eastment MC, Dominitz JA, Fan VS. Risk Factors for Hospitalization, Mechanical Ventilation, or Death Among 10 131 US Veterans With SARS-CoV-2 Infection. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Sep 1;3(9):e2022310. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.22310. PMCID: PMC7512055. PMID: 32965502.
Fan VS, Dominitz JA, Eastment MC, Locke E, Green P, Berry K, O'Hare AM, Shah JA, Crothers K, Ioannou GN. Risk Factors for testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 in a national US healthcare system. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Oct 27:ciaa1624. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa1624. Epub ahead of print. PMCID: PMC7665412. PMID: 33105485.
Rogal SS, Yakovchenko V, Morgan T, Bajaj JS, Gonzalez R, Park A, Beste L, Miech EJ, Lamorte C, Neely B, Gibson S, Malone PS, Chartier M, Taddei T, Garcia-Tsao G, Powell BJ, Dominitz JA, Ross D, Chinman MJ. Getting to implementation: a protocol for a Hybrid III stepped wedge cluster randomized evaluation of using data-driven implementation strategies to improve cirrhosis care for Veterans. Implement Sci. 2020 Oct 21;15(1):92. doi: 10.1186/s13012-020-01050-7. PMCID: PMC7579930. PMID: 33087156.
Eastment MC, Berry K, Locke E, Green P, O'Hare A, Crothers K, Dominitz J, Fan VS, Shah JA, Ioannou GN. Body mass index (BMI) and outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 among US veterans. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2020 Dec 18. doi: 10.1002/oby.23111. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33336934.
Beste LA, Ioannou GN, Chang MF, Forsberg CW, Korpak AM, Boyko EJ, Sporleder JL, Smith NL, Maynard C, Chartier M, Dominitz JA. Prevalence of Hepatitis B Virus Exposure in the Veterans Health Administration and Association With Military-Related Risk Factors. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Apr;18(4):954-962.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2019.07.056. Epub 2019 Aug 5. PMID: 31394284.